Search this Blog

Pageviews

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom - the movie, with a little help from Benjamin Britten


This moving, poetic and "time suspended" movie is so nicely blending with music...


... I was almost quitting from the cinema - i.e. - what's this crap... scouts... a summer camp... bleah!... or the like... but, maybe, the old Kodachrome-tinted photography or "something" stopped me...

I was right!

The story was creating in front of me, on the screen... when young Sam is searched by his fellows, . oh, oh...?!?!

That's Benjamin Britten's "Simple Symphony"... his "Playful Pizzicato", superb second movement with those so joyful and strings pizzicatos...

I calmed myself and get absorbed in the movie...

... again Benjamin Britten's "Noye's Fludde" rehearsed and played in a small theatre... the costumes, the kids voices...

I was captured!

The movie is a poetic tale of a fairy world dated 1965 or so... the island is mix between the Hamptons and Sea Cliff or Nantuket... but it seems penned by a XX Century Tolkien... or, better yet, Britten himself!

The several hinting to Britten are everywhere... music as original soundtrack, Penzance and a sea saga...



The music REALLY so nicely serves the story... and, let me say, the love story between yound Sam and young Suzy is so well "preserved", poetic and delicate as a wild flower which is only beautiful when left in the wild... when hand-picked... it's lost!

The scene of dating on the beach, the making of the fishining hooks earrings with the green insect... well, is pure beauty... so clever are the young Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward.



The rest of the cast is stellar: Edward Norton, Bill Munray, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel... the best of the crop!

I loved... I LOVE this little humble movie!





No comments: