Search this Blog

Pageviews

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Munchen Blues - first impressions and some thoughts





Blues, so... sadness, you'd say?

'cos I had bad time, heavy weather, no parking, bad food, the worst of companies, you'd guess... DEFINITELY NOT, folks!!!

Feel bluesy as I already miss, how Mr. Fremer told me yesterday evening at MPS' Oscar Peterson vinyl and open-reel tape reissue party - "The Best Show in The World"... M.O.C. of course!

... and it's absolutely true the contrary, as, even more than other times, the friends from Germany, Belgium, USA, France and England have been, truly and no kiddin', my family for three days...

Just back home with an average of 5 hours sleep per-night, after chatting of virtually everything, from politics (how could't be asked by everyone about our fave badass national hero, Berlusconi:-)))), music, food, places, dreams and ideas, after hangin out with Peter, Joe, Mr. Chang, Frank, Wolfgang, Micheal, Holger, Michael, Christoph, Laurence, Timothy, Christian, Norbert, Thomas, JC, Roberto, Pierre, Christian and Gitta, Alessandro, Maciej,  Dominique, Eckart, Wolf, Dirk, Serge, Dirk and others great guys and pals I apologize to do not name, my fault... well... I miss kampaing loudly and laughing, and making noise, soaked in music... deeply, painfully.

Blues it's what I'm listening right now, on a supremely unaudiophile Arhoolie wax of Sonny Boy Williamson and Big Joe Williams... a pagan mantra...

Beer was a nectar for me and my pals and mr. Chung at Silbatone's Shrine was demonstrating WE 12A and 13A telling the same story for three days (plus today I wssn't there, I suppose...) talking about these dinosaurs horns and drivers, the Stone Age technology involved which someway matches with Old Technology of our ears... and every listening session and relative tale was always including nice variations and adding...

Roberto & Mayer's four chassis 211/211 amps... 

David, me and Kang Su


Wolf & Joe & beer lady...


Michael, Manho Oh from South Korea, unknown gentleman and mr. Chung, Silbatone's patron from South Korea

Holger, JC and Frank


Dirk and Dirk


Eunice Kron's 1610 triode


Christoph and his cockpit


Kang Su Park's 1610 triode amp


A 3-ways passive crossover, all silver foil Duelund's caps... 


Commonwealth 12A and Priority Control arm


A Priority Control arm detail



Met my dear friend David from Canada and Kang Su Park from S. Korea and, again, empathy in spades... said hello to Tim De Paravicini, chatted briefly with Per Lundahl... kissed Hildegard and hugged Thomas Mayer and Bernd...

Met and chatted with Chad Kassen from Salina, KS... he's the Analogue Production Man... great guy and a HUGE (again) blues lover and scholar!

Music... yes, it was there... the best overall aural experience was at WE/Silbatone room, but, ya know, I'm partial, 'cause there was the party...

Like vessels at night, needing a safe harbour, my friends and me were gathering there at intervals after visiting other boots... back home, swapping some wittiness with Joe Roberts or Frank "Dr. Sardonicus" Schroder or Timothy Gurney... Maria Callas or Willie Nelson were there with us...

How could we ask for more, don't us?

An harbor... music, friendship, that awesome so easy and difficult to find sense of being part of a group yet unique, precious...

Isn't music and the needed audio ancillaries, after giving us all some relief from life facts our refuge and safe harbor... making time a differently clicking stuff and the invisible palpable.

So... best room or gear?  ... don't ask, folks... just don't ask...  gears... foggetaabouit... cars, fuck cars... I'm after travelling, sightseeing, not clutches and carburetors... audio?... gimme music!

Buy a shitty (kidding...) Lenco L 75 and play Capt. Beefheart or Tom Waits, not audiophile muzak...

Seriously: let's try to never forget we're music and audio lover and scholars, not audio lovers, only...

So boring, empty... strange... no, NOT that strange, my friends and me talked very sparingly about audio... but partied a lot and music was the amniotic fluid which made so plesant being together...

Joe Roberts, I love him, was sweating and chatting and drinking and laughing and I mirrored my eyes in his and others and we were like kids... doing the Right Thing... being in Da-Place.

The Navel of the World... the place to be... how excessive, romantic, doped I am...

... naaaahhhh... that's Munchen Blues... blues of a town where young ladies dance in the bars... where people is cycling in evening under a light rain and look cool and brave, not saving on gasoline... where MOC repeats the miracle of making people from around the world to gather and share and have good time or whatever...

Blues is also the minty copy of Muddy Waters' "Folk Blues" on Chess I found at Fenn Music, waiting for me...

Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" 1st pressing label...

The above finding being the only blues which makes me feeling, definitely, not bluesy...  but it's one year sharp to next year MOC!

...  at Augustine brewery, last Friday night: Wolf von Langa, great guy... cleverly howling - auuuuuhhhh, beer in hand - like his nice name would suggest... and Joe asking to me if I ordered a veggie platter when one kilo meat was being served and laughing to tears...












Thanks all, pals... thanks to Munchen and Muncheners, for GREAT hosting... and music, for being.

Later...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great story, too bad we missed each other!
Peter

twogoodears said...

Indeed, Peter... has REALLY been a special event... I also missed you a lot.